Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Scotland's Christian Heritage Remembered !!!!

If you visit my beloved homeland of Scotland today you will realize that it is a land of great spiritual darkness and moral decline. There are some good solid churches sprinkled throughout the land of rolling hills, rugged mountains, twisting rivers, mists and cold northerly winds. However most who live in Scotland today are secular and without any knowledge of the period of conflict, turmoil and bloodshed that made her a great nation......

It is strange how living in the USA I am caused to reflect more deeply on my beloved homeland than I did during my years in N.Ireland. Perhaps it is because I am reading about the Covenanters to my son, Andrew before he settles down for the evening. Perhaps it is because this year commemorates the birth of Calvin in 1509 and his influence on Scotland has piqued renewed reflections in my heart.

Whatever the reasons, I intend to post some biographical material about those of whom the world was not worthy, Christians, true disciples of Jesus Christ who influenced the nation of my birth and who were devoted to the true gospel of Christ. Many of them shed their blood for the sake of the gospel and all of them believed they were not their own but were bought with a price, the precious blood of Jesus.

We will begin soon with the three earliest reformers.....Patrick Hamilton, George Wishart and John Knox.

No comments:

Post a Comment